Today we are thrilled to announce Roku OS 9.4 which includes new features that will start rolling out to Roku devices, including TCL Roku TVs in the coming months. With this free, automatic software update – Roku is providing new ways for you to access content, expand your voice options and enjoy exceptional performance with your Roku devices.
To start, we are excited to announce that we're expecting to deliver Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit capabilities on select 4K TCL Roku TVs later this year. With AirPlay 2, Roku customers can stream, control, and share their favorite content directly from their iPhone, iPad, or Mac to their supported 4K Roku devices and bring the experience to the big screen. HomeKit will allow customers to easily and securely control their Roku device using the Home app and Siri on iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, or HomePod. Watch out for both, which will be rolled out later this year!
Other great features include:
Navigation & Controls
- Live TV Channel Guide TCL Roku TV users will be able to access The Roku Channel's Live TV Channel Guide directly from their home screen by selecting the "Live TV" input tile. This gives them one-click access to an easy to use program guide consisting of more than 115 free live streaming TV channels in addition to the free OTA channels they already have access to if they have an antenna connected.
- Helpful Hints for Roku Voice – Helpful hints will appear directly on the user's TV screen to inform them of voice commands they can use on their Roku device either through their compatible voice remote or the Roku mobile app. These hints are designed to help users enjoy quick, simple control of their Roku device using a wide variety of voice commands.
- Surround Level Control for Multi-Channel Audio – Users of Roku audio products who have a multi-channel speaker configuration will be able to adjust the volume of their rear surround speakers relative to the volume of their soundbar to match their personal preference.
The Roku Channel
- The Roku Channel Free Mobile App for iOS and Androids smartphones – In addition to the free Roku mobile app, the all new dedicated mobile app for The Roku Channel delivers free and premium entertainment for all; viewers can now enjoy a wide variety of free on-demand entertainment, live TV, news and more, as well as access to their Premium Subscriptions (for those who sign up via a Roku device or via www.therokuchannel.com).
- More Free Linear Channels for Users – The Roku Channel is expanding its free live/linear channel lineup in the U.S. with new channels, such as Cinedigm's Bloody Disgusting TV, The Craftistry from Studio71, Circle, HappyKids.tv, Hi-YAH! - The Martial Arts Channel, iFood.tv, The LEGO Channel, Maverick Black Cinema, MOVIESPHERE, Skills + Thrills, VENN, Weatherspy, as well as a variety of Spanish-language entertainment including Sony Canal Comedias, Sony Canal Compentencias, Sony Canal Novelas from Sony Pictures Television and Tastemade en Espanol.
Additional updates in Roku OS 9.4 include:
- Updated Theme Packs allow users to customize their home screen and screen saver with a variety of fun themes such as Jungle, Western, Nautical, Kids, etc. and will now feature corresponding audio tones when users press various buttons on their Roku remote that match their chosen Theme Pack.
- 2019 TCL Q82X, R62X, and 55/65S52X models will also support eARC once updated to OS 9.4. eARC allows higher bandwidth audio to be delivered to compatible audio equipment connected to your TV. The new release will also enable VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) on the 2019 TCL 55R62X model for enhanced game play with compatible game consoles and games.
In terms of availability, Roku OS 9.4 will begin rolling out to Roku TVs in phases over the coming months.
To learn more about the Roku OS and everything it has to offer on TCL Roku TVs, visit Roku.com.
We are thrilled to continue to work with TCL on bringing our customers the best TV experience available. #HappyStreaming
VP, Roku TV Partnerships